Sunday 11 March 2018

1,075 SHE MAKES WAR, Oxygen Thief, Supp. Ginger Wildheart, Swindon the Victoria, Thursday 8th March


The first of three in three days, well that’s just how they fall sometimes… thankfully this, to ease my tired limbs into this hectic schedule, was not only a local one, but promised to be an early one too as I was just up for the support! Said support was She Makes War, the nom du guerre of Bristol based musician Laura Kidd, a fiercely independent DIY performer and recording artiste whom I’d seen dovetail perfectly in with Tanya Donelly on some backing vocals, back at that Throwing Muses Trinity gig (September 2014, gig 926), yet, despite recommendations from such disparate bedfellows as Messrs. Franklin and Timms, had somehow neglected to check out her own material. That is, until a Facebook posting by none other than Wonder Stuff mainman Miles Hunt of the video for her excellent 2017 single, “I Want My Country Back”, a venomous yet cleverly targeted attack on the ills and prejudices of current UK society wrapped around a hooky and chunky US college pop style hook, inveigled its’ way into my consciousness (and my kids’ as well – they love it!). My Bristol friend Alison was in the vid as well – nice! So, a pledge on her tentatively titled “She Makes Four” album, due out later this year, and purchases of the first three, finding them lovely listens full of brittle, bittersweet dreampop, occasional post-punk inflections and, let’s face it, damn fine and memorable songwriting, caught me up nicely. All that was really needed was a gig, so despite potential logistical issues (more on that below), I booked tix for this one, to set that right.

Those logistical issues involved waiting for Rach to finish a School Governor’s meeting at 8 before dashing up the hill for She Makes War’s scheduled 8.45 start. However, as her meeting ran late, it was a somewhat agitated (and dare I say, rude) Sheriff that set off at 8.25 as Rach pulled up. Hared up the hill and grabbed the last parking spot in the usual car park, before making my way in to find Oxygen Thief, scheduled main support, already on! Turned out that a rejigged schedule meant Laura was due on at 9.15! Watched a couple of OT’s numbers before excusing myself and phoning home to apologise to my understandably irked wife, then wandered in for the last knockings of the set. I’m normally reasonably kindly disposed to a hairy bloke shouting at me, but somehow this seemed a little jarring; to my ears he’s clearly overdosed on The Fall and John Otway in his youth, and I just wasn’t in the mood for his overtly confrontational style tonight. Happy to admit that on another night I might have enjoyed him, just not tonight…

Wandered down the front of an amply packed venue as Laura set up, then retook the stage at 9.15, gigface firmly on, glitter makeup encircling her purposeful and determined stare. The room fell silent as the haunting, Nirvana-esque electric guitar refrain of “In Cold Blood” kicked in, Laura’s smooth vocal clarity adding to the atmospheric delivery. Quite by contrast to the moody opener, however, was the between-song banter, Laura underlining her pleasure about playing in Swindon again with an enthusiastic recommendation for the Baila Coffee House, next door, before a pastoral, dreamily drift-along “Slow Puncture”.

This was a fine and polished performance from a very talented musician and singer, simultaneously making me glad I’m now on board with She Makes War, and kicking myself I’d left it so long. She even made me appreciate those dreaded tape loops, the subtle use of overlaid harmonies to the outro of “Paper Thin” adding to the stark beauty of this “song of hope” (according to Laura, there’s one on every album!). “Delete” also used vocal loops for the underpinning rhythm, Laura venturing forward to partly deliver the vocal through a megaphone. A couple of newies showed great promise for the new album, particularly “Devastate Me”, a Veruca Salt grunge-alike which should sound even more strident with a full band backing on the album, although I also enjoyed the intro to the other newie; “the new album’s hope song, about how we can be stronger together – but not in a fucking Tory way!”

All too soon, a melancholy “Scared To Capsize”, recalling late Madder Rose, closed a fine set, only slightly spoiled by a couple of loud talkers, to Laura’s evident irritation (a couple of hard stares thrown in their direction said it all). Nonetheless, most of the audience were on board, and behaved accordingly. Headed off for an early night after a couple of headliner Ginger Wildheart’s numbers (was never a fan of The Wildhearts, heard nothing to change my view tonight), but not before a quick chat with the Star Of The Show, promising to make it to more She Makes War gigs. That’s a promise I fully intend to keep!

No comments:

Post a Comment